Thursday, September 30, 2010

Humming for Healing

I have found myself humming a lot these days. Humming during meditation, humming when I am happy and humming when I am sad. Humming while my child has a meltdown and afterwards to calm myself down! It feels good. Try it, right now. Go ahead. It's just you and your computer screen. Experiment with it a bit. Hum high and hum low. Notice how your body feels as you do so. Allow a more nasal quality to come through your hum tones. Can you feel the vibration increase in your head, in your body as you do that? Allowing a more nasal quality to come forth is a wonderful way to stave off a head cold or sinus infection. It really opens up the sinuses and allows for energy to move, clearing the sinuses in the process.

Your body is a resonating chamber. We actually restore a sense of calm when we hum, we ground ourselves in our humming. No wonder so many parents hum as they rock their babes to sleep. Recent research shows that humming promotes: wound healing, dilation of blood vessels, collagen production and a release of oxytocin, also known as the trust hormone.

We all have a hum and tones that make up our song. Our personal harmonic symphony. Some spiritual teachers share that our hum, our song connects us to our divinity. I know I have felt that during meditation and I have sensed shifts in my perspective when I allow myself to hum instead of "react" to life's curve balls. It seems a little silly at first, but then so are my tantrums. I prefer simple tools like humming to help me shift my perspective in a moment. Give it a try. If anything, it will make you smile and that's a beautiful thing!

No comments: