Tuesday, December 9, 2008

And the race is on...



Christmas is on it's way. I guess in many ways it's already here. For the days leading up to the big day we would like to share with you some holiday gift giving ideas that cost little to nothing monetarily, and hopefully mean quite a bit to the loved one's in your life.


In my family we have a tradition we call the 12 days of Christmas. Twelve days before the 25th we choose a person or family in the community and leave an anonymous gift for them each day until Dec. 25th.


Yes, this can be an investment if you choose. It's really fun to get creative and not spend a lot of money. How about baking or giving a nice loaf of bread, or any kind of food? Other ideas I like are poems or inspiring quotes, pictures, socks, scarves, gloves, a journal, or playing cards. There are so many ideas. If you have kids, then your craft options are endless.


I love this, because it is so much fun to be sneaky and watch your chosen receivers ponder over who in the world is thinking of them. I find that the actual gift doesn't really matter. The fact that someone is thinking of them means the very most.


Maybe you don't want to commit to 12 days. Maybe one day suits you better or a random act of kindness. Maybe you go to a rest home one day and give out hugs! That's a good one! The possibilities are as endless as joy you and your receiver will feel.


I remember one time I was walking through the parking lot to a grocery store and a person that appeared to be homeless passed in front of me and his bag of belongings broke, so I gave him my canvas grocery bags. The bewilderment on his face was great.


May your heart be filled with kindness in this giving season.


Jodi

No comments: